The Crown Pier across the road was first occupied by the German forces in World War 2. A few days before the occupancy, the area of this pier, once known as The White Rock was bombed for German forces. Prior to the bombing of the area, nearly half the population of Guernsey left the island to avoid occupancy.
The Ship & Crown building, was once known as The Crown Hotel, is the site where the Vice Admiral Huffmier, German Commander of the Channel Islands was taken into captivity by the British forces on 9th May 1945.
The Ship & Crown was also shown as the main feature in the film ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’.
Every year The Ship & Crown has been a vital element is celebrating across the St Peter Port esplanade. Utilising its location and size for great fun for all celebrations.